Cloud Backup for Education
Data backup and restore is as easy as A-B-C, with Dropsuite.
Data backup and restore is as easy as A-B-C, with Dropsuite.
Make protecting email and related data as easy as A-B-C with cloud backup and archiving for schools, universities and related education institutions from Dropsuite.
With schools, universities and related education institutions swiftly adopting cloud-based communications and collaboration systems like G Suite Gmail, Office 365, Hosted Exchange, or Open-Xchange the need to safely and securely protect that data has increased greatly. Although many systems administrators may believe the data is backed up, the harsh reality is the data is not nearly as comprehensively protected as they may believe. Worse, cyber threats from TDO and other hacker groups targeting education institutions are on the rise, which further heightens the need for secure backups.
This is why Dropsuite provides a comprehensive, secure and easy to use solution designed to automatically backup email and related digital assets, secure those assets with advanced encryption techniques, and provide swift 1-Click backup when the need to restore data arises.
FBI Warns of a Cyber Threat to Education Institutions
Recently the FBI released an urgent private industry Amber threat notification to education institutions warning of the greatly increased number of targeted attacks against schools, universities and related education firms by professional hackers known as TDO (The Dark Overlords):
“As of January 2018, TDO was responsible for at least 69 intrusions into schools and other businesses, the attempted sale of over 100 million records containing personally identifiable information (PII), and the release of over 200,000 records including the PII of over 7,000 students due to nonpayment of ransoms.”
The alert continues with how the TDO threatens those in the education space:
“TDO escalated its tactics by threatening school shootings through text messages and emails directed at students, staff, and local law enforcement officials. As a result, several schools receiving these threats shut down for one or more days as a safety precaution. TDO then contacted the school districts several days later, demanding payment to prevent the release of student data on the internet.”
Clearly the threat to data loss, encryption of data or lost days due to forced shutdowns for schools and universities is growing. Education institutions rely heavily on email and related communications for staff operations, student-teacher communications, student coursework, coordination with partners and vendors and much more. Risking this data on the assumption it is comprehensively backed up and secure is highly dangerous and not part of a comprehensive data protection strategy.
Data Loss Risks for Education Institutions
Because of the ever-evolving number of students, teachers, staff, vendors and more who are using these email communication systems, maintaining accurate and reliable backups of data, going back months or even years is difficult. Worse, trying to quickly find impacted assets to restore them can be made much more problematic given the diverse ecosystems and file formats the data may be in.
The risk of damage, corruption or deletion of this data can impact a wide variety of critical educational systems including:
- Lost curriculum and/or coursework
- Inability to administer staff and educators
- Breached contracts due to missed obligations
- Negative publicity caused by Exposure of PII
- Risk of lawsuits due to security non-compliance
How Dropsuite Keeps Education-Related Email Assets Safe
Dropsuite specializes in helping firms like education institutions keep email and related communication assets safe, secure and protected. We use a cloud-based solution built from the ground up by engineers to efficiently backup, store, preserve and if necessary easily restore email-related ecosystem data at a moment’s notice. What type of ecosystems? Office 365, G Suite Gmail, IMAP-POP, Hosted Exchange, Open-Xchange and more.
Dropsuite’s easy-to-use, secure, and scalable backup and recovery tools enable education institutions to easily set-up automated backups of email and related assets. Even better, our state-of-the-art backup and archiving solutions meet government, industry, and IT regulations such as:
- SOC 1, 2 and 3
- FISMA, DIACAP and FedRAMP
- DOD CSM Levels 1-5
- PCI DSS Level 1
- SO9001 / ISO27001
- FIPS 140-2
- NIST (coming April 2019)
Email assets are critical to education firm success. Essential company information, intellectual property, and documents are easily forwarded with one mouse click. Corporate email data is not something education firms want falling into the wrong hands.
Education institution dangers to data include:
- Ransomware and cyber threats
- Regulatory audits (compliance)
- Risk of litigation due to data breach
- IP theft and/or exposure
- Accidental or malicious data deletion
Education institutions need to safeguard their email communications by making smart decisions centered around how to use the oftentimes minimal IT budget allotted to safely protect data.
This includes the need to securely backup, store, archive, maintain, access, discover and swiftly restore lost or encrypted data.
Dropsuite provides the industry-leading backup and recovery solution for Office 365 data, G Suite Gmail data, and data for other email ecosystems. Our solution comes with a very low cost-per-seat license, coupled with military-grade encryption to ensure data is secure both in transit and at rest.
Use Cases for Education Institutions
Accidental Data Deletion: Typically, accidental deletion is one of – if not the top – reason for data loss. With so many students, teachers, staff and vendors having to collaborate and coordinate communications this type of data loss is almost impossible to prevent. What can be done if data such as a string of emails and attachments are discovered to be gone, months after they were deleted?
With Dropsuite, you can recover many types of email-related communications on demand — at multiple points in time. Our education institution customers have full “recovery assurance” for all emails, attachments, calendar and tasks — which is like insurance for your critical communications data. Dropsuite safeguards your data, allowing you to focus on the business of educating students.
Third Party Audit: Another very common use case in the education field is audits and/or requests for 3rd party access to data. How can 3rd-party auditor access be granted to student, teacher or staff data and related assets?
With Dropsuite, education institutions can easily provide auditors or other 3rd party access to many files including; G Suite Gmail, Office 365 data (Exchange Online, SharePoint, OneDrive, Groups and Teams), calendars, attachments, tasks and much more. Our single-pane-of-glass dashboard, easy to use roles, and ability to simply add or remove users to a role simplifies the process needed to grant access to specific 3rd parties to ensure they have access to the data they need.
Is Backup of Office 365 Even Necessary? Many education firms are using email communications like G Suite Gmail or Office 365 to manage their administrative communications and applications. A very common question is, “Do we even need to use 3rd party systems to backup Gmail or Office 365 data?”
The answer is yes. Although Gmail or Office 365 does come with some basic capabilities to backup and restore recently deleted files, they are not a comprehensive backup, archiving and restore solution. As an example, a common practice among Office 365 admins is to use the recycle bin as a temporary archive. This is a dangerous practice, and one that won’t help if the data files were deleted permanently from the recycle bin. It is also not a way to comply with legal hold or related data protection requests. Only a built-from-the-ground-up backup and archiving solution like Dropsuite’s has the full features and capability to securely, safely and properly backup, store and retain data.
Education Institution Best-In-Class Data Protection
Dropsuite’s best-in-class backup and archiving solutions for education institutions were specifically built for safe, secure, cloud-based storage of data, no matter whether that data is in the form of Office 365, Hosted Exchange, Exchange Online, SharePoint, G Suite Gmail, Open-Xchange or even website data.
- Tamper-proof audit trail
- Advanced search
- Legal hold
- Set retention periods
- Secure 3rd party access
- Role Based Access (RBAC)
- Automated data backups (12X daily)
- Email backup (Office 365, G Suite Gmail, IMAP)
- Exchange Online backup
- SharePoint backup
- OneDrive backup
- Groups and Teams backup
- 1-click data restore
- Insights email intelligence tool
- GDPR and HIPAA compliant
- Unlimited storage & retention
Increasing Cyber Attacks Fueling the Need for Backups
The increasing number and sophistication of cyberattacks on education institutions has become the new norm. But it’s not a fait accompli that they must become victims of the next TDO attack.
Ways to decrease cyber threats
- Look at security holistically. Security is more than simply employing encryption techniques; security is threat mitigation training, simulated breach testing, deploying anti-spam tools, and of course, backing up your data.
- Identify and safeguard key assets (hardware, software, products, locations, etc) and lock down access. Cyberattacks came come from anywhere — and they come in many forms. Never let your guard down.
- Talk to your suppliers and vendors. Are any of them doing business with companies or customers located in the European Union? If so, you’ll need to ensure that they are taking security and compliance seriously. Ask if they are GDPR compliant. Do they use the latest security protection? Are they backing up and transferring data safely? Remember, you’re only as strong as your weakest link — so make sure your education partners take security as seriously as you do.
- Follow data security regulations. For example, here are two government regulations that impact the handling of education data:
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) – The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law passed in 1974 that bars the disclosure of personally identifiable data in student records to third parties without parental consent. Identifying what data has and has not been authorized and/or shared, and with whom, is key to compliance with this regulation.
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) – Congress enacted the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) in 1998, which is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission, not the US Department of Education. The primary goal of COPPA is to allow parents to have control over what information is collected online from their children under age 13. The law applies to any operators of websites, online services including web-based testing, programs or “apps” that collect, use, or disclose children’s personal information, whether at home or at school. Schools must carefully keep records of email and related communications activity that has been authorized by parents for business use.
Whether you are using Office 365 or another business communications solution such as G Suite Gmail, a comprehensive data backup and archiving solution assures that your records are systematically stored in a central cloud data repository with state-of-the-art security and legal hold features in place to guard against issues of tampering. Using Role Based Access makes it easy to provide state, local or federal regulators the data access they need to verify compliance. Dropsuite Office 365 Backup was tailored-made for the rigid security requirements that education customers demand from a cloud partner.
Data Protection Made Easy for Education Institutions
With the increasing reliance on multiple types of devices, file types, locations, and uses for email assets in education, coupled with tight IT budgets, it’s more important than ever to find a low-cost, simple way to administer and secure email and related data using backup and protection – like Dropsuite’s.
Dropsuite safeguards education firm data from unexpected data loss. Your data is safe in the cloud, available to restore at any point in time should you ever need to retrieve it.
Dropsuite Cloud Email Archiving was created specifically for the rigid security requirements most education institution customers require for proper data safety and protection.
Co-Founder of SeFlow
“Dropsuite has one of the easiest installation and management processes I’ve ever experienced.”
Experience a Live
15 Minute Demo
15 Minute Demo